Holy cow, it’s a How-to Tuesday. It’s been forever, right? Libby and I are both very excited! Ok, maybe she’s just excited about the peanut butter…
As the Nova Nomads club grows, we wanted to focus on what we had to offer our members and the other nearby play groups around us. One of these things is a positive and fun gaming experience. For the longest time, players have owned and maintained their own terrain sets because up until our current store, we couldn’t store anything at the shop. Given our new home store will allow us to do so, and we have club funding from dues (which also go towards club t-shirts, chess clocks, awards for events, etc), we wanted to get some club terrain.
In order to make this fun and exciting, and make sure we got the best looking terrain out of the time put into the project we made a competition out of it. Club members were encouraged to group up into teams of two (or solo or threes) and com up with a concept for a table’s worth of terrain. Lots of members had donated their personal sets to the club, so teams were free to take anything from that cache to use for their tables. Teams were given a tupperware bin for their terrain to fit into, and each team had a $25 budget on top of whatever the club purchased for them to use.
Most of our existing tables use forests, hills and linear obstacles. That’s great, but it leaves out lots of other fun terrain pieces like rough terrain, large obstacles, trenches, etc. Not to mention, the terrain rules support custom combinations of things, like rough terrain plus concealment might be brambles or long grass; something that slows you down and also obscures your position, but doesn’t offer nearly the same advantages as a wall or building.
I wanted to tackle trenches, because moist of our tables look like the random countryside with hills and forests and no buildings or signs of civilization. However, the Iron Kingdoms is full of battlefields and entrenched positions that nations feverishly defend and assault. I wanted a real battlefield. Since I had a ton of Khadoran bits laying around (mostly spare shields), I figured that faction was as likely to have trenches as any.
So, here’s how I went about building an entire table’s worth of terrain from scratch, in about three weeks.