So, got the beards done during Glee and Big Bang Theory, and then watched Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift and was able to get the symbols done on the grunts and leader.
Here’s the pics:
Grey beard example:
Brown beard examples:
Symbols on a group shot:
Tomorrow is game day at my local store, but since I don’t have work on Friday, I can put in a movie when I get home, and put in another 2 hours highlighting the symbols and getting ready to line them Friday.
After that, it’s just the bone sections and gore for the grunt.
The hero’s arms still need lots done, but I also got them primed today, and they’ll cure overnight before getting drybrushed Friday.
I’m hoping to have everything done by Friday night so I can do a final once over of everything Saturday morning before gloss coating them to seal the paint. Then they’ll get a matte varnish Sunday morning and ship Monday.
Wish me luck!
So, here we have our Hero. He wants to look very demon like, so we went with a deep, dark, blood red color for the fur. It almost looks blood soaked, which is fairly cool.
Ignore the gloss – that’s a byproduct of the ink used as the smoothing layer – it’ll be gone with the clearcoat.
Aaaand I can see where I have to touch up the chainmail a bit. But, it looks pretty good to me!
Ok, so tonight’s project was to get the horse parts done. Four got brownish hair, and the other four got grey. The grey sort of melds right into the ‘blackmetal’, but there are dirty, grundgy chaos dwarves, so it suits their dark nature.
Again, while it doesn’t look like much, there’s four layers on each leg and with them already on bases, the insides of some legs are hard to get to. It took me both Sherlock Holmes, and Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull to get these done – almost 4 hours!
Some of the drybrushing got on the hooves, but that’ll get fixed in final touch-ups when I also go over the base edges to get rid of any drybrushing from doing the bases. Part of the whole speed painting idea is to only use a given color once, so I’ll do all the black touchups at once.
Tomorrow – beards and horns!
Here’s the closeups:
A weekend update here. Got the bronzes done Saturday. Carefully putting down two layers of bronze everywhere took a bit of time. Especially when I can’t screw up and get bronze on the ‘blackmetal’ areas – it’s really hard to repair an oops like that.
Today, I polished off the bases. Sand fell off one, so I’ll have to fix it after the glue sets, but for the most part they’re good to go. Two different greys give it a bit of depth while keeping the ‘ashen wasteland’ feel.
Lastly, the Hero’s rock came out awesome. I think it looks sufficiently rocky. Not too bad for my first terrain feature sculpted out of foam!
Anyway, here are the pics:
And here’s a group shot showing off the general ratio of bronze to ‘blackmetal’. I think there’s enough bronze for it to be a nice accent color, and emphasize that these guys are dwarfs and thus masters of metal working.
Doesn’t look like a ton, but there’s lots of time involved in drybrushing. You can get about a quarter of a model done before you have to re-load the brush and wipe it off and go again. Everything’s ‘blackmetal’ right now, and the chainmail’s been mainted with GW’s … chainmail paint.
Colors this weekend!