Portals Rules (BETA)

Any and all Warmachine / Hordes related Events!

Portals Rules (BETA)

Postby Plarzoid » Tue May 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Setup:
Seven (7) 50mm bases, two small forests, two medium 1" tall hills, some linear obstacles. Set up the table with a forest in opposite quadrants, and hills in the remaining quadrants. Ensure these terrain features are at least 3" away from any other terrain and at least 3" away from any portal or Dark Crystal.

Place one 50mm base in the center of the table. This is the Dark Crystal.
Place the other six (6) 50mm bases 18" from the center, and 18" from each-other, as shown on the diagram. These are Portals. Number the Portals 1 thru 6.

<diagram pending>

Deployment:
Occurs during the player's first turn, and immediately after they have been killed.
Roll a d6. Deploy your force B2B with the corresponding numbered "portal". That portal is then active for a full round, and cannot deploy any additional forces. If a player rolls an active portal while determining where to deploy, re-roll.

All models deployed immediately gain "Summoning Sickness".

Summoning Sickness: Models suffering this effect reduce their SPD to 1, and for every point their SPD is reduced, their armor is increased by 1. Summoning sickness lasts for one round (until the player's next turn).

Game Play:

Before Deployment, all players roll a D6, highest wins. Re-roll ties until a single player has been chosen. This player deploys first, and the rest of the players roll off to see who deploys next, in a clockwise rotation around the table's portals. Since players will be shifting places all over the table, it is important to remember who goes before and after you, so the proper turn order can be maintained. A round ends when all players have taken their turn.

When a warcaster or warlock's battlegroup is eliminated, they are removed from play, and that player immediately respawns using the deployment rules above.

Players earn points equal to the Point Cost (PC) of any warjack / warbeast they destroy. Warcasters and Warlocks are worth no points.

Dark Crystal:
This objective is is a 50mm model (and blocks LOS like one), and has the following stats: DEF 5, ARM 25, 20 Boxes. It cannot be moved, pushed, placed or thrown. Models cannot move through it by any means.

Long Life: While the Dark Crystal is on the table, all warcaster and warlock models gain super-tough. What a model with super-tough is boxed, roll a d6. On a roll of 4,5, or 6, the model is knocked down and heals 1 pt.

Self Preservation: The Dark Crystal heals d6 damage at the end of every round.

Emanating Power I: While within 12" of the Dark Crystal, Warcaster and Warlock models gain +1 Focus or Fury during the maintenance phase. Models may exceed their normal Focus or Fury allotment due to this rule.
Emanating Power II: While within 8" of the Dark Crystal, Warcaster and Warlock models gain +1 Focus or Fury during the maintenance phase in addition to that gained from Emanating Power I (for a total of +2). Models may exceed their normal Focus or Fury allotment due to this rule.
Emanating Power III: While within 4" of the Dark Crystal, Warcaster and Warlock models gain +1 Focus or Fury during the maintenance phase in addition to that gained from Emanating Power I and Emanating Power II (for a total of +3). Models may exceed their normal Focus or Fury allotment due to this rule.

Emperor's Crown: While B2B with the Dark Crystal, Warcaster and Warlock models gain +1 Focus or Fury during the maintenance phase in addition to that gained from Emanating Power I, Emanating Power II and Emanating Power III (for a total of +4). Models may exceed their normal Focus or Fury allotment due to this rule. In addition, Warcaster and Warlock models B2B with the Dark Crystal suffer from Summoning Sickness.

Apocalypse: If the Dark Crystal is destroyed, all models on the table immediately suffer d6 damage. Warcaster and Warlock models on the table gain +2 to their Focus or Fury stat, and are no longer affected by Emperor's Crown and Emanating Power I, II & III. For the rest of the game, all models suffer d6 damage at the start of their activation. The game only lasts for two complete rounds after the Dark Crystal is destroyed.

Portal:
Models in B2B with an active portal that are not currently under Summoning Sickness suffer a POW 18 damage roll.
Active Portals are a cloud effect.
Inactive portals do not block LOS.
Plarzoid
Site Admin

Re: Portals Rules (BETA)

Postby Plarzoid » Tue May 22, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm looking for feedback.

The main issues with the previous version of the rules was that folks that went early in the round had to take a beating from everyone that came after them, and by the time they spawned, there wasn't much to do.

The bursty effects meant people that were off the table (waiting to respawn) didn't get the bonuses.

Suggestions included random turn orders, no negative effects, and more emphasis on the 'jacks and beasts, and less on the 'casters.

Hopefully the above rules fix that. The powers are auras, and always on, and you immediately come back on the table after you die. The warcasters are really tough to kill and don't earn points, so the easiest way to get points is to kill 'jacks / beasts.
Plarzoid
Site Admin

Postby volt_ron » Tue May 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Are there points for destroying the Dark Crystal? And I thing it should have a force blast type affect after it is attacked but NOT killed.
volt_ron

Postby Plarzoid » Tue May 22, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm hesitant about even letting you destroy the Crystal...

As fun as it is to have the power to affect the entire table, I think it may cause too many issues with who gets points if a model is finished off by the blast, etc.
Plarzoid
Site Admin

Postby Chris-Cryx » Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 am

Interesting. Having never played in one of the portal events, it sounds interesting I have to admit. The point system seems as though it could be skewed by someone bringing only light jacks/warbeasts, but then I imagine they'd suffer for doing so if they can't take out opponent's heavy jacks/warbeast for more points.
Chris-Cryx

Return to WM/H Events