Painting Update

It’s that time of year again!  Around Memorial day for the past two years, my gaming club has put on a fundraising event called Feat of Service.  The purpose is to raise $$ for the Wounded Warrior Project.

Nomadsmall

I participated in the Custom Caster event, which is aimed at more casual players (there’s a 50-pt ADR Masters event for the more competitively minded).  The general idea is to create a new, custom Warcaster for your chosen faction and then play several 35-pt games all day trying for achievements much like a book release event.  It’s effectively a mash-up of Who’s the Boss, Spell Draft and Summer Rampage

The process itself is pretty simple.

Continue Reading

About two months ago, I finished up the first two models in a 6-model commission, a group of D&D characters for a play group.  This weekend, I’m almost wrapped up on the next two.

Grimnir Anvilfist is a Veteran Dwarven Cleric of Tempus.  The model chosen was Reaper’s Dain Deepaxe, (# 02811), and there were two modifications to make.  One, an eye patch was to be sculpted on, and two, the symbol of Tempus should go on the shield.

The eyepatch was easily added, and the shield’s stock detail was shaved off with a hobby knife and then ground smooth with an egg-shaped diamond bit on my Dremel.  Here’s the end result:

DSC_9763

DSC_9766

The other bloke I was painting is named Owain, a Tiefling Cleric.  His story’s one of redemption, trying to do good to make up for the demonic pact that gave him horns and a tail.  The model is based off a Reaper model (#03349), with an added shield from a Reptus Warrior (#14425).  Again the shield was cleaned and ground smooth before painting.  I also sculpted on a set of ram’s horns and a barbed tail.  The shield was to have a symbol of Lathander on it.

DSC_9758

DSC_9759

DSC_9761

 

Yes, one horn is shorter than the other.  He tried filing them off as a boy, but it hurt and he stopped.  Thus, it’s blunt and short.

All in all, a pair of fun models with lots of freehand painting on their shields.  Stay tuned for the next two models in this group of awesome D&D characters!

I managed to have a four day weekend this weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed having some free time.  I spent lots of it outside with family and friends, but I also spent a fair bit in the studio, painting.

One of the key pieces I worked on was a Forsaken for the Legion of Aquablight.  I need one for my army for Feat of Service (have you donated yet?), and quickly painted one up.  I had already base-coated a Forsaken before Temple Con, so it only took about two to three hours to finish her up.

DSC_9740

DSC_9741

DSC_9742

Her base needs snow and grass, but that’ll get done at the same time I do my Custom Caster.

But, that’s not all I worked on…

Continue Reading

This post has a ton of pictures.  Be warned.  Also, you can click on any of them to see a picture roughly 8 times larger.

I know TempleCon was three months ago. I’ve waited this long to show off the army because PP took photos of it for No Quarter at TempleCon, and they haven’t printed them in the last two issues, so I assume they’re not going to.

My warcaster of choice was Thagrosh, Painter of Everblight. Not only is he a fantastic center scenario caster, the alternate sculpt that emphasizes the hobby is fantastic. Plus, he’s a pretty new sculpt, and judges like seeing the newer models. To represent Thagrosh’s FURY, I glued rubber shredders from the Blighted Bather model to some washers and quickly painted them in my grey and teal. They then got a serious protective coating of gloss.

DSC_9679

DSC_9681

DSC_9680

Continue Reading

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a friend of mine asked if I would be up for replicating what JediRob had done here.

The project began with cutting out bits from the Millennium Falcon. Then, the holes left by the cockpit hallway and satellite were plugged up. Once construction of the new cockpit, hallway and engine bay were done, all the gribbly details were added. In the end, my original plan to reuse the original back deck of the YT-1300 fell through, so it was built from scratch.

Here’s a photo log of the project. Enjoy!

I was eager to try, so I hacked up my YT-1300 and got started constructing the new portions of

20140913_002323

20140913_002338

20140913_141144

20140913_141203

20140913_225535

20140913_225619

20140913_225554

20150218_020347

20150328_213346

20150328_213358

20150328_213413

20150329_021116

20150329_021134

20150329_021146

20150329_021200

20150329_021219

20150406_011929

20150406_011950

20150406_012006

20150406_213130

20150406_213213

20150406_213223

20150406_213231

DSC_9628

DSC_9629

DSC_9630

DSC_9631

DSC_9632

DSC_9633

DSC_9634

This project was an absolute blast. I learned a ton about working with plasticard and figuring out how to build the various new bits. The cleint is super excited to paint it up, and once it’s done I’ll be sure to show pictures.