Miniatures Games

Miniatures Games related posts

I’ve been fairly consumed with Overwatch since it’s release several weeks ago, but I had a goal to get two New Edition Battlegroups painted for demos by the end of July, so I’m happy to say that I bucked down and made it happen.

First up, is the Khadoran contingent, led by Lord Kozlov. The Juggernaut is the one that I painted long ago for the Khador army I took to Templecon in 2014. Kozlov and the Decimator were cleaned up and assembled, and about 8 hours of work later, the small battlegroup is ready to dominate the battlefield!

DSC_6263

Khador was the obvious choice for one of the New Edition battlegroup purchases, as was Legion. However, when demoing the game, it’s often best to stick to one system or the other, since it’s simpler and less confusing. It’s also generally considered easier to learn Warmachine since it’s effectively a “mana” mechanic that most video games or other magic systems use. So, Warmachine was the system to build two Battlegroups for, and that meant picking a second faction to paint up. I made the decision based on which battlegroup boxes were available after pre-orders when our launch kit arrived. Cryx and Protectorate both had boxes left on the shelf, and I love the idea of a Bane Witch, so I decided on Cryx.

Again, I re-used some of the models I’d already painted a even longer ago, and only really needed to paint up Agathia and the Reaper.

You may notice that the shading on the two ‘jacks are different. The Juggernaut’s more stylistic, and the Decimator’s more realistic. I’m not sure which I like more, but exploring that difference was a side goal of painting up the Decimator. Which do you like better?

I had some trouble with the mold lines on Agathia’s ghostly skirt, but the Reaper was a charm, and went together just fine. I had a blast painting the Cryx models, since P3’s green paints are so easy to 2-brush blend. The Cryx models also use lots of colors I don’t get to paint on my Khador or Legion, so it was really refreshing.

DSC_6264

So, there we go! Some proof that I’m not only still alive, but that I also still have the capacity to paint.


In other news, I have a commission in need of a quick turn around, and I have a competition mini (or two) that I’m working on for Nova Open in about a month. I’m taking 6 (8?) painting classes at the Open as well, which should hopefully level up my game.

So… stay tuned for more to come.

This piece has been on my desk for a bit, getting attention when I had time. Technically, it’s a commission – a follow along for the same client that had me paint up Madrak a while back.

This past weekend my gaming club, the Nova Nomads, put on our annual charity event: Feat of Service. This year, we were benefiting the Fischer House Foundation. Part of the event is a painting contest (this was in lieu of the Custom Caster event we’ve done for the past two years).

That was the impetus I needed to finish this up.

DSC_6199

DSC_6200

The most difficult part of this model were the crystals. I had to examine each facet of each crystal and shade and highlight them individually. It was lots of work, but it turns the lumps of stone into glowing crystals.

DSC_6201

DSC_6203

I’m incredibly pleased with how this guy turned out. The Classic Mauler is one of my favorite models that PP’s put out, and I’m glad I got the chance to paint one (they’re no longer producing it!).

The judges we had for feat of Service seemed to like it too, because they gave it the win! The competition was very stiff, and it just barely beat out a gorgeous NMM Thyron model.

Guild Ball’s becoming a pretty big deal locally, and I wasn’tg surprised when one of my local players who hates painting contacted me about painting up one of his teams. He gave me full control over the scheme and let me loose. I did some research online and picked a few schemes I liked. If you look around, you’ll see that I stole some color placement ideas, and I flat out copied an idea for the color I finally set on for the robes.

DSC_5930

I’m painting the entire faction for him, but we broke it up into the models he really wanted to play with first, and then the rest. This batch of five allows him to add in one of his Union models for a full sized 6-man team.

DSC_5945

This post is more of a showcase and explanation of the paint scheme. I will use the three remaining models as a vehicle for a proper tutorial on this scheme and the techniques I’m using to achieve it. If possible, I may even film / broadcast it … If that something you’d be interested in, let me know in a comment.

Continue Reading

This is another instance of “You just don’t say no”. This model’s better than once in a lifetime, it’s one-of-a-kind.

This model was thought up and constructed by the client and it’s made of parts from many different Protectorate kits as well as an Extreme Juggernaut, which lends lots of bits to the underlying structure. Quite a few parts are also custom made from plasticard and there’s loads of greenstuff. Additionally, most of the structure of the legs is made from brass tubing.

The client wanted the majority of the model to be an off-white color, pulling inspiration from the stone of the St. Peter’s Basilica. Dark blue was to be the secondary color on all of the trim, and lots of bronze for the Menofixes and other metals as an accent. Overall this is fairly regal palette, which is very fitting for Protectorate.

I started with the legs as a test bed for the colors I wanted to use for the model. After priming white, I picked out the shadows in P3 Bastion Grey (a brown-ish grey). Then, an even coat of P3 Menoth White Base was laid over most of the model, leaving the Bastion Grey in the darkest spots on the bottom. Then, P3 Menoth White Highlight was airbrushed in as the final highlight on the top bits.

20151010_215358

Continue Reading