X-Wing

X-Wing related posts

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a friend of mine asked if I would be up for replicating what JediRob had done here.

The project began with cutting out bits from the Millennium Falcon. Then, the holes left by the cockpit hallway and satellite were plugged up. Once construction of the new cockpit, hallway and engine bay were done, all the gribbly details were added. In the end, my original plan to reuse the original back deck of the YT-1300 fell through, so it was built from scratch.

Here’s a photo log of the project. Enjoy!

I was eager to try, so I hacked up my YT-1300 and got started constructing the new portions of

20140913_002323

20140913_002338

20140913_141144

20140913_141203

20140913_225535

20140913_225619

20140913_225554

20150218_020347

20150328_213346

20150328_213358

20150328_213413

20150329_021116

20150329_021134

20150329_021146

20150329_021200

20150329_021219

20150406_011929

20150406_011950

20150406_012006

20150406_213130

20150406_213213

20150406_213223

20150406_213231

DSC_9628

DSC_9629

DSC_9630

DSC_9631

DSC_9632

DSC_9633

DSC_9634

This project was an absolute blast. I learned a ton about working with plasticard and figuring out how to build the various new bits. The cleint is super excited to paint it up, and once it’s done I’ll be sure to show pictures.

This model’s been a blast to work on. I haven’t gotten a chance to work on a GW model in a while, and it’s refreshing to work on a model that has a completely different style and level of detail, not to mention a different material.

I wanted to give the pink a little more interest, since it was a little flat, so I mixed some Carnal Pink (P3) into the base Murderous Magenta (P3) and got something in between the two. I 2-brush blended this as a highlight. It was a bit too much, though, as it shifted the feel of the mini from deep magenta into bubble-gum pink. A quick wash / glaze with the base magenta fixed that and turned the bubblegum areas into luminous magenta instead. What I’m left with is a much brighter magenta for the highlights.

DSC_9601

DSC_9602

DSC_9603

The YT-1300 project isn’t dead, it was just waiting for inspiration and time. Since I had both this past weekend, I set to work detailing the model. I used primarily Plastruct 0.010″ x 0.030″ styrene strips. These come in 12″ sections, and so far I’ve used almost two feet of the super small stuff to detail the model. I’ve been cutting it into teeny tiny squares and rectangles and using my Tamiya Extra Thin Plastic Cement to stick them on. I’ve found a sharp hobby knife to be a huge boon. Not only does it help cut the plastic quickly, but the tip can be used as an applicator for the small pieces by gently stabbing them.

At this point, all that’s really left is to affix the back over-engine panel, and detail the remaining bits of the cover (including the bottom of it).

wpid-20150329_021146.jpg

wpid-20150329_021116.jpg

wpid-20150329_021134.jpg

wpid-20150329_021225.jpg