I had the pleasure of delivering this army to its owner last weekend. It was a long haul, and many things were learned, and in the end, it’s quite the sight to behold.
Items of note:
- Helynna’s flourescent pink mowhawk
- Imperatus’ action pose
- 24 friggin’ Sentinels
- Sylys Wyshnyllyr (painted in about two days)
Click for bigger pictures.
Adding high contrast lines to the weapon blades really helps them stand out, and helps broadcast the unique design of Retribution weapons. The Imperial Blue tint really shuts down the initial black-to-white contrast, and it would be too subtle to be seen unless you were examining a model individually. I was originally worried the lines would be too much, but seeing it across a whole army – I think it works nicely.
I really enjoyed not having to build bases, only paint them. There’s a whole discussion to be had about the benefits and costs of DIY versus resin bases, but from a time-savings stand point, being able to generate 30+ finished bases in two or three evenings is fantastic. I’d finished the models, and needed to base them, and before I realized it, they were done – and they look great.
Yes, I photographed them on my Khadoran Trenchworks terrain set. Because this is my blog, and it’s all about me.
Today, it’s time to discuss the fiasco that was Imperatus.
OK, it’s mostly my own fault, but I’m going to blame the model because it can’t defend itself.
I mentioned last time, that I had commission work coming in that would cause the personal projects to get set aside for a while. Well, here’s an update on what’s going on!
The main commission I was talking about is a pair of 75-pt Retribution lists with about 20 pts of overlap. The inspiration for the paint scheme comes from Hampster Cage Studio’s midnight inspired and LED lit Hyperion, and (I think) the client’s Alma Mater, UFL. This gave us a nice bit of contrast in a dominant set of complementary colors: blue and orange.
The main scheme should use blue for armor and orange for cloth, and then invert that for anything with the Dawnguard label. Including Imperatus. Of course, Retribution has loads of glowy bits, so the obvious solution is to use the opposite color as the glowy bits. So, there’s a lot of play between the complementary colors, and since the blue will be very dark and the orange rather bright, there’s also some contrast in value.
I chose a House Shyeel Artificer and Dawnguard Scyir as the test models for a few reasons. One, they’re metal so if it all went to shit, I could just throw them in the soup and not worry about it. Two, they each showcase the scheme in different ways. The Artificer has lots of armor and cloth, but isn’t a Dawnguard model, so would show blue with orange. The Scyir would show orange with blue. Since they had opposite colors for armor, they’d also let me work out the proper recipes for orange and blue glowy bits.
I’m back painting again after a too-long hiatus thanks to Overwatch. Most nights, I’m painting for a few hours, then playing for a few, when friends are online.
A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Trevor Christensen, from the Chain Attack podcast. His commission painter, Ashton Holbrook (aka. Red Modeling & Painting), was no longer taking commissions (for a very good reason) and Ashton had referred Trevor to me as a possible replacement. Trevor needed his Karax unit painted before he heads to Amsterdam for the WTC next month, so I got to work as soon as I could. Trevor asked for something quick and simple, so he’d be sure to have them on time. I’ve always wanted to paint these models (I love cool looking shields) so I gave them an extra special treatment and went all-out.
I’m not going to go into the process and recipes used here – it’s predominately 2-brush blending with a little glazing. The recipes are Ashton’s and truth be told, I enjoyed mostly being a mechanic following the directions as written rather than having to actively figure everything out. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy that part too, but this was rather refreshing.
Trevor sent along an Extoller Advocate to use as a test model, along with a few models Ashton had painted for color and quality reference. Since this was the first time I was painting someone else’s color scheme to match previously done models, this was incredibly helpful. I’ll probably ask for that sort of thing next time I have to match an existing scheme for a project.
Trevor seems pretty happy with the results, and I’ll be showing these guys at the Nova Open next weekend before shipping them to Trevor. I’m not sure how well they’ll do in the painting competition where every brush stroke is examined – corners were cut for time and I didn’t worry about getting every blend perfect, but they’re firmly an above tabletop quality job on a 10-man unit done in about 12-15 hours, and I’m eager to get feedback on them. I’m confident that an army painted to this level would be in contention ofr a Master Craftsman award, and I’m very happy I was able to do that as quickly as I did.
Enjoy the pics, and stay tuned for more models in this scheme in the future!