Archives

All posts for the year 2015

I managed to have a four day weekend this weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed having some free time.  I spent lots of it outside with family and friends, but I also spent a fair bit in the studio, painting.

One of the key pieces I worked on was a Forsaken for the Legion of Aquablight.  I need one for my army for Feat of Service (have you donated yet?), and quickly painted one up.  I had already base-coated a Forsaken before Temple Con, so it only took about two to three hours to finish her up.

DSC_9740

DSC_9741

DSC_9742

Her base needs snow and grass, but that’ll get done at the same time I do my Custom Caster.

But, that’s not all I worked on…

Continue Reading

I was asked on Twitter how I paint faces, so here’s a tutorial covering a basic human male face.  At the end, I’ll cover how I tweak this process for female or non-human faces.

I’m using 100% P3 paints for this, and I’m primarily using a wet palette so I have fairly transparent paint.  This lets me use glazing.  The faces on models are too small for 2-brush blending, so the best method I’ve seen is glazing – layering thin, transparent layers of paint to build up color.

If you haven’t yet, study some faces to see where the shadows are and where the light catches.  This is a decent reference:

Mr. Jake Gyllenhall

Mr. Jake Gyllenhall

For this walk-through (and a few more to follow), I will be painting Reaper #2803, Brother Vincent.  Feel free to follow along!

I started by priming the model black, and then base coating the face with Midlund Flesh.  I used my airbrush for both of these steps to preserve detail, but several thin coats with a brush should do just fine.

DSC_9705

Continue Reading

This post has a ton of pictures.  Be warned.  Also, you can click on any of them to see a picture roughly 8 times larger.

I know TempleCon was three months ago. I’ve waited this long to show off the army because PP took photos of it for No Quarter at TempleCon, and they haven’t printed them in the last two issues, so I assume they’re not going to.

My warcaster of choice was Thagrosh, Painter of Everblight. Not only is he a fantastic center scenario caster, the alternate sculpt that emphasizes the hobby is fantastic. Plus, he’s a pretty new sculpt, and judges like seeing the newer models. To represent Thagrosh’s FURY, I glued rubber shredders from the Blighted Bather model to some washers and quickly painted them in my grey and teal. They then got a serious protective coating of gloss.

DSC_9679

DSC_9681

DSC_9680

Continue Reading

It’s been a while since there was a How-to Tuesday, but today’s installment is hefty-enough to make up for the segment’s absence, I assure you.

Ashton Holbrock, aka Red Modeling Paint Studio aka kommander_redfinger on the PP forum has been streaming painting tutorials and posting them to YouTube for over two months now. He does this as part of his commission painting service.

redmodelingpaintstudio

Ashton paints the client’s mini live on Twitch, instructing them in the techniques and methods he uses to paint his amazing miniatures.  All of these videos are then archived on his YouTube channel.  He covers airbrushing, 2-brush blending, color theory and a multitude of other things as well.  If you tune into his Twitch broadcasts, he opens up the last 10-15 minutes of his hour long broadcasts to questions from the audience.

Here’s some videos of his that are very insightful:

Airbrushing:

2-Brush Blending:

So, give his YouTube channel a look, and be sure to subscribe to his Twitch feed so you can watch him live and ask questions

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a friend of mine asked if I would be up for replicating what JediRob had done here.

The project began with cutting out bits from the Millennium Falcon. Then, the holes left by the cockpit hallway and satellite were plugged up. Once construction of the new cockpit, hallway and engine bay were done, all the gribbly details were added. In the end, my original plan to reuse the original back deck of the YT-1300 fell through, so it was built from scratch.

Here’s a photo log of the project. Enjoy!

I was eager to try, so I hacked up my YT-1300 and got started constructing the new portions of

20140913_002323

20140913_002338

20140913_141144

20140913_141203

20140913_225535

20140913_225619

20140913_225554

20150218_020347

20150328_213346

20150328_213358

20150328_213413

20150329_021116

20150329_021134

20150329_021146

20150329_021200

20150329_021219

20150406_011929

20150406_011950

20150406_012006

20150406_213130

20150406_213213

20150406_213223

20150406_213231

DSC_9628

DSC_9629

DSC_9630

DSC_9631

DSC_9632

DSC_9633

DSC_9634

This project was an absolute blast. I learned a ton about working with plasticard and figuring out how to build the various new bits. The cleint is super excited to paint it up, and once it’s done I’ll be sure to show pictures.