Archives

All posts for the month April, 2014

Since the goal for Templecon is to run Legion (of which little that I want to use is painted), I need to get started.

I’ve done Aquablight in the past, it’s one of my favorite looks, and the color scheme of the site is modeled after it.  I’ve taken a second stab at the scheme since, and it looks good, but requires a few custom mixtures, and hasn’t really been fleshed out into infantry and what-not.

This time, I want to really figure out the scheme in its entirety.  I want to pre-mix batches of color to speed up the process and keep a consistent look, and I want a documented process, so I can add to it down the road, if I ever want to.  So, I spent some time thinking, and made a list of the key aesthetics of the Legion army:

  • Beast ‘chitin’ style armor
  • Beast flesh
  • Beast “blight”-y glow
  • Beast details (teeth, claws, ear membrane things, gums)
  • Wings (membrane)
  • Infantry heavy armor (metal, pressed leather)
  • Infantry light armor (pressed leather / cloth)
  • Infantry flesh (will it differ from beast flesh?)
  • Metal weapons
  • Feathers
  • Magical glow (spellcaster glowy bits)

I picked a few models that I’ll actually use at Templecon, and that give me good examples of the various Legion aesthetics: a Scythean, a Harrier,  a Legionnaire, a Shepherd and a Spell Martyr.  So, 5 models, and I get to lay out just about everything I’ll need to, in order to make feel out this scheme.

I started out with the airbrush, since it makes thin coats, and I needed to paint over some existing paint on the Spell Martyr and Shepherd.  Also, the Scythean has lots of real estate to cover, and I really didn’t want to do it all by hand.  That’s tedious, and would be prone to leaving brush streaks, and filling up those lovely cracks in the chitin.

I got a base coat down of P3 Greycoat Grey for the skin, followed by a zenithal style highlight using 50/50 P3 Midlund Flesh and P3 Greycoat Grey.  I didn’t do the zenithal highlight on the Scythean’s arms  correctly (they’re magnetized, as is the head), but I can fix it later.  I then masked off all the skin with masking tape and sticky-tac, and put down a nice coat of P3 Meredius Blue.  (I’m going to mark paint names in bold from here on out.  I think it’ll make it easier for people who just care about color recipes.  Let me know if it helps / hinders you?)

There are lots of bits to fix and figure out before diving into the details of shade colors and highlight tones, etc, but for now, it’s a start.

Here’s a quick cell-phone pic of my carrying box that I took on my way out the door this morning.  Behold the models in their aqua-y and blight-y goodness!

image

After the Wolf Pack, it was back to the SDE while I was waiting on my Wizard to sell.  The robe has been highlighted and shaded, and the eyes, hair and face are pretty much done.  I also managed to add some wood texture to the staff, and will be washing that with some watered-down brown ink soon.  Lastly, the base got some attention, but needs a good wash or some weathering powders before being called done.

With the wizard sold, I can move on in my PfP Challenge. I think some 40k awaits me. On the PP front, I’m really feeling the Legion of Aquablight, and I have a Scythean primed and on deck.

What’s on your painting table?

Before I get into what I’ve been working on this past week, I want to remind you all that Velmarius only had 4 days left to go on eBay.  Check it out here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231192085002

Ok, so I needed to blitz something before the month was over for the “Tales of WM/H” on the PP Forum, which is a painting challenge to paint 5-pts worth of models a month.  I Joined at the end of Jan, and failed for Feb, so I’d used up my two “Free” passes.  You can get them back by painting up 5 extra points of models in a given month.  So, I finally got around to painting my Circle Battlebox (from the 2-player set).

Here’s some crappy cell-phone pics I took this morning of the Wolf Pack:

These are purely for demo purposes, so they’re not super high quality. The Feral was fun just because of his muscles and fur. I’m very happy with hos the armor turned out on the lights, as well as Kaya’s cloak. Kaya’s face was another learning experience, and I’ll try to get a better close-up when I get the Lightbox out again.

Next on the painting table are the SDE heroes, and something for the latest NQ challenge.