For Velmarius, I’m trying to appeal to the gamer crows as well as the show piece crowd, so I need a base that both looks good and is visually interesting, and that’s practical for use in a game. Thus, I’m going to use the 1-inch square base that the model came with, and I’m going to base it in a dungeon floor type theme.
I start by quickly start by whipping up a decent size ball of green stuff. I want some rubble and dirt on part of thebase, so I can put in a shrub or something, so I only cover 3/4 of it.
I drip a couple drops of water from my painting cup onto the green stuff so nothing will stick to it.
Then, I grab a thick piece of plasti-card and use it to flatten the green stuff. I’m left with a nice, flat surface. I then ruin that nice flat surface by rolling around a ball of aluminum foil all over the base. This gives it lots of cool texture.
I then dip my hobby knife into my water and carefully cut lines in the green stuff, making bricks. I do this by just pressing the blade into the putty – I don’t draw the blade through or anything, just press it in and pop it back out.
I hit the putty with the aluminum foil ball again, just to rough up the nice straight lines I just made.
Using my clay shapers and hard tools, I roughed up the odd edge of the stone so it would look broken.
Then, I cut out one of the small back stones and moved out front, to be a broken part of one of the others, and give me a visually interesting missing stone in back.
Black paint to start with, followed by a deep brown. I’m using craft paints here, not P3 paints.
Then a dark grey for the stones.
Two intermediate greys via drybrushing bring out the texture. All of my pictures of this stage are blury, so on we go. A quick drybrush of the dirt with an orangish brown called “raw sienna”, followed by a bone color. Then, a wash with Secret Weapon Dark Sepia in the dirt and along the seams of the stone. Add in a handful of Secret Weapon Autumn Leaf Scatter and a little grassy shrub thanks to Army Painter’s “Jungle Tuft”, and viola:
Lastly, the model is mounted via the two pins in the feet, and off we go!