Archives

All posts for the month May, 2010

Ok, so the project in short is to take these guys:

And these guys’ horses:
and make centaurs!

So, here are the raw parts:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
After cleaning mold lines, I glued the two halves of the horse together and covered the hole where the head attaches with greenstuff:
Photobucket
Photobucket
While the greenstuff was hardening, I cleaned the torso of mold lines and any Orc icons (these are to be Dwarves after all) – I then basically clipped off his butt. I used a sanding drum on my dremel tool to smooth the cut. Here is the result:
Photobucket
Photobucket
So, here is the end result (held together with sticky-tac):
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I think it looks pretty good! Now I need to figure out what to do with the area where the rider would normally go. I think chainmail would look the best since it can be blended into the chainmail around each horse leg – but that means I have to sculpt chainmail…
Anyway, I’m pretty happy with the prototype!

Well, the last if the Chaos Dwarf Bull Centaur bits arrived. Thus I didn’t do any painting. All the purchased pieces were there, which is always good.

I spent some time cleaning up a horse body, and gluing the two halves together. I then cleaned a Black Orc torso and cut most of the hips and buttocks off. I then shaped the bottom part to match where the horse head would attach.

A little greenstuff, and I have the beginnings of a centaur!

Pictures some time tomorrow, I am too tired to take pics right now.

I do think it looks good though!

Here’s my inspiration for the scheme (Kudos to Deacis). I want to have more orange, and less red. Nonetheless, these are gorgeous and the reason I’m playing Menoth:


Knowing how difficult it can be to do a bright color over black, I primed a Temple Flameguard Grunt and a Redeemer last night:

TFG Grunt Primed
Redeemer Primed

I also had their bases flocks at the time, so they were primed black:
Photobucket


Today, I played two coats of white over the areas I want to be orange. You can barely see where the white is, but it’s a necessary step. It evens out the primer undercoat which is a bit spotty and doesn’t cover the best.

TFG Grunt after 2 coats of Skull WhitePhotobucket

Redeemer after 2 coats of Skull White

Next, I put down two layers of Blazing Orange. The first layer was just to get the color down – I went with the natural angle of the brush on the surface, depending on what worked. The second layer evens up the coat and removes all the brush strokes – it’s painted on perpendicular to the previous layer. Since I could see the streaks of the first layer, it was pretty easy to keep the brush moving perpendicular.

The result:
TFG Grunt after two coats of Blazing OrangeTFG Grunt after two coats of Blazing Orange

Redeemer after 2 coats of Blazing Orange
Redeemer after 2 coats of Blazing Orange
Redeemer after 2 coats of Blazing Orange

I also hit the bases with a bunch of Scorched Earth (dark brown):
Bases with Brown

Tomorrow, lots of black!